Sunday, September 20, 2009

What an adventure...

...Handley and her daddy had this afternoon. I've been trying to get to the grocery store for a few days now, but it has been raining non-stop for the past week and the last thing I wanted to do was to drag both girls along with me, in the rain.  This afternoon there was a little break in the rain and I decided to make a go for it.  I wanted to leave both girls with Robby, but ended up taking Harper with me and Handley stayed behind.  She and Robby had big plans while I was gone.  They were going to take advantage of the break in the rain too and go throw rock in the creek...one of Handely's favorite things to do.  I've blogged about it in the past - check it out here

Knowing it would probably be muddy and very messy on the trail to the creek Robby changed her out of the cute dress she was wearing and into some old play clothes.  THANK GOODNESS he did.  

When I got home from the grocery store and pulled in the driveway, this is what I saw:


Quite the set-up, huh?  Well turns out the rain didn't stay away for long, but Robby was determined to take her on this fun outing.  He rigged a complete canopy for her wagon using a golf club, umbrella and bungee cords.  I wasn't sure why she was soaking wet, but figured they must have had fun splashing in the puddles and running in the rain.  Was I ever wrong.  

SHE FELL IN THE CREEK!!!!!  

It wouldn't have been that big of a deal if it hadn't been raining non-stop for the past week.  The creek that is usually a little trickle, looked like this today.  

Can you believe it?!?!?  The water was almost over the stone bridge.  Handley was leaning over to throw a rock in, slipped, and fell head-first into the water.  Robby jumped in to her rescue.  And in all this commotion, she lost a croc. :-(  Robby said he saw it floating away, down the creek, but the water was so high and moving so quickly that he couldn't get it.

I can't believe he had taken the camera with him, but I'm so glad he did.  Here are a few pictures from their "adventure." 

Obviously pre-fall

And my poor girl, pitiful and soaking wet!

And as Handley was telling me all about it I had to grab the flip and get it on camera.
 

After hearing all the details and still not believing it, Robby casually mentioned, "Can you imagine what would have happened if you'd left them both here with me?"  :-)  

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

oh no! That is crazy! Glad she is okay! She is so cute telling her story. I love the backwards hat. :)

Renee said...

Poor baby!! That is scary. So glad everything was ok!!

Atkinson Family said...

Oh my GOSH! I am so glad you weren't there! Poor Handley!!! What a day!

Alison LeBlanc said...

That's so scary. She is just adorable. I'll email in the next couple of days so we can get together soon.

Stacey said...

This is hilarious to me! Not hilariious because of what happened! The hilarious part is what Robby said at the end! Especially after our talk on the phone and you seeing the dad with girls alone at the store!

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

Too cute!