Friday, September 4, 2009

Preschool - Day 2


Handley had been talking about her school and her teachers all week long and was excited to go back today.  Notice in the pictures that she is still in love with her lunchbox. :-) On the way there she told me she wanted to go to tumbling class instead of school.  However, when we got there she excitedly posed for a picture, walked in, and headed for her classroom.  As soon as we reached the classroom and saw her teachers she burst into tears.  I pulled her aside, gave her a quick pep-talk, and sent her into the room.  She walked in teary, but willingly and I walked away leaving my sweet little girl to be comforted by her teachers.  


I wasn't emotional at all today when I left her.  I think I remembered back to my days teaching Pre-K.  I had a few kids in my class that would cry every morning and didn't want to leave their moms, but within minutes of their moms leaving the kids were laughing, playing with friends, and busy as can be.  I hoped the same would be true for Handley today.  

When I went to pick her up this afternoon I was able to peek in before she saw me and she happy as can be.  Her teacher told me that she was great all day and just fine after I left.  This afternoon and again tonight she told me she wanted to, "go more school again" so I know she's enjoying her time there.  

One quick thing I have to share, she can't stand to have shoes on.  As soon as we get in the car or get home she takes her shoes off.  I've been talking to her about having to leave her shoes on at school and we even got some new little tennis shoes for her to wear to school (since croc's aren't allowed).  Every time she puts them on I make a big deal, hoping it will encourage her to keep them on.  This afternoon she was putting them on before we went outside to play, looked at me and said, "Those look adorable!"   She was right, she did look adorable! 

OK, and one more thing to share.  When I was a little girl my mom would always pack my lunch for school and write a note on my napkin.  I looked forward to lunchtime each day so I could open my lunchbox and see the note from her.  I started doing the same thing for Handley and hope she'll look forward to see a little something special on her napkin each day at lunchtime.  

2 comments:

the mckechnies said...

so happy that school is going well! the pics are adorable and i love her comments about her shoes. isn't it a riot to hear them echoing your own words back to you?!

The Clark Family said...

So glad to hear she did well with it! Owen has his first day tomorrow and they take him right out of the car, I am soooo nervous for him, it could go either way:)