Tuesday, September 1, 2009

1st day of Preschool


Today was Handley's first day of preschool.  She woke up excited and ready to go.  As soon as she saw her lunchbox packed and sitting on the counter she didn't let go of it.  She carried it around all morning, took it up stairs with her to brush her teeth after eating breakfast and even held it the entire ride to school.  


When we got there she eagerly walked in and waited for the main doors to open so we could go down to her classroom.  While we were standing there she did not want to hold my hand.  She thought she was so big. 
As we approached her classroom she walked right in with her lunchbox and school bag and never looked back.  I called out her name and told her goodbye and she got a  look of panic on her face (even though we had talked A LOT about how she was going to school by herself and I was going home with Harper).  I quickly walked away so that I wouldn't make it worse.  I hated not knowing how she was doing after I left.  I was lucky to get an email from a friend and she said that when she walked by Handley's class there were lots of kids crying, but Handley was just standing there looking at them all as if she was thinking, "what's the big deal?" so that made me feel a lot better.  I was a little emotional after leaving her. I guess just because this is the first time she's ever really been away from me and I felt like I was leaving her with strangers.  I couldn't wait to go back and get her! 

When I picked her up she was excited to see me,  but seemed to be really happy and told me she had fun at school.  She told me a few things she had done during the day and overall seemed like she had a good time.  Her daily report said that her mood was "HAPPY" all day and her teacher told me that she'd made her self right at home in the classroom.  I'm so excited that this transition seems like it is going to be a smooth one!  

4 comments:

Renee said...

Yay!! So glad it went well for you both!

Kathy Mills said...

Woo hoo Handley!! What a big girl! I am glad you had a great day:-)

Katie Jones said...

It is so hard to leave them, isn't it!? I'm glad she had such a great first day!

Jennifer said...

Such a big girl!