Sunday, October 3, 2010

Family Camping Trip

Those who know me well know that I'm not a camper.  Never have been and never pretend to be.  However, Robby LOVES camping and has been talking about wanting to take Handley camping since before she was born.  The weekend finally arrived and somehow it turned into a whole family camping trip.

The original plan was to go to the mountains for our camping adventure.  My only requirement was that we go somewhere with a bathroom.  Apparently this was a popular weekend for camping because there were not sites available at any of the state parks when we checked on Thursday night.  That lead us to check into camping at Stone Mountain, which turned out to be a great compromise.

When we arrived on Saturday we learned that the campground was hosting a fall festival complete with crafts, a magic show, a hayride and pumpkin decorating!  I was thrilled that we would have some fun activities to do during the day.  After picking out our spot, we got our campsite organized and as soon as the tent went up the girls didn't want to come out of it.


After feeling organized we set out to explore and took part on some of the fall festival activities before heading off to find the Stone Mountain playground.  It was AMAZING.  I'd go back just to spend the day there.  After playing and a snack we went back to the campground we were able to hop on the final hayride for the day.  They took us to a little "pumpkin patch" where the kids got to choose their own pumpkin to decorate.

Handley concentrated very hard to make her bead bracelet.

She hasn't taken it off since she made it.  She is so proud of it!

Harper needed one too.

Showing off their pumpkins from the hayride.

It started getting close to dinner time so Robby took the girls in search for some things to start our fire.  They thought that was so much fun and were proud of their finds.  

Searching for fire starters.

Harper was SO proud of the stick she found.

Smores
 When it was time to get settled in the tent for bed the girls got to watch Dora on Robby's iPad before trying to get to sleep.  "Trying" being the key word in that sentence.  Turns out our nice camp spot was right beside a boyscout troupe who were not interested in going to bed.  Between them, the guy snoring so loud that it sounded fake and the dog that kept barking, it's a wonder any of got any rest.  Harper tossed and turned most of the night, but eventually settled into a deep sleep sometime early this morning.


Handley was the early riser so Robby got up with her and started on our breakfast of hot chocolate and oatmeal.  She kept unzipping the tent to give me a play-by-play of what he was doing.  She was most excited to let me know that he let her put a marshmallow in her drink.  :-)  By the time Harper and I finally made our way out of the tent, Harper was ready for oatmeal. 


Robby asked me today on our way home how I thought it went.  I said it was great until we got ready for bed.  He laughed and said, "Well that is when the real camping began.  Up until that point we were just hanging out at Stone Mountain."  Ha! True, but we did have a great time and it was fun to spend the weekend together as a family enjoying the gorgeous weather.  I told Robby though that it's going to be hard to take Handley camping some place else because she's going to think every place should have all the "extras" we got to enjoy.  Both girls had a lot of fun though and I'm sure there will be more camping for them in the future.

9 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

I laughed all the way through this post...especially the part about the guy snoring so loud it sounded fake!

Sounds like it is going to be hard to top that trip.

Katie Jones said...

Wow - you are bold! I cannot believe you did this! Saunders has the same outdoorsy dreams as Robby, but I told him that he knew it going in that I am not that girl - I don't like "nature" on me. He told me he wanted to hike part of the Appalachian Trail with the family for his birthday. Um, no. I have camped twice and lived to tell about it, but I am terrified of camping with kids! Stone Mountain camping does look fun and clean, though. Maybe we'll tackle this once everyone is potty trained...

Alison LeBlanc said...

My biggest fear about camping is the sleeping part! Even in the state parks it seems like all the sites are too close together to get any rest!!! That is great that there was so much going on at Stone Mountain, and I agree, the playground there is fabulous. In the end though I am hoping Atticus will be statisfied with tent camping in the backyard until the three boys can all go together and leave mama at home :) Great pictures!

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

I am so glad the trip went well!!! Who needs sleep when you have all those fun activities:) Haha!

Renee said...

LOL! You are a much better wife than me! I don't think I could have done that. My kids don't sleep well in hotels! I can't imagine trying to get them to sleep in a tent. Great memories though!

Atkinson Family said...

What a riot! Sounds like the first adventure was a success! I am so proud of you! You get to pick the next family overnight!

Stefanie said...

haha. that last picture of Harper made me laugh out loud. I don't blame you cB- not my idea of "fun" either ;) but I'm glad you got the girl version of camping at Stone Mountain and glad you all had a good time.

Justin and Kristin said...

So cute! I would love to go camping... I just have to build up the courage. I used to love the outdoors and now I am not content without a shower on the grounds and a camper with air conditioning/heat. Good for you, girl!

Erica said...

Ditto to all those non-camper posts above! You're more brave than I am. Sounds like a fun family activity, though, that could turn into very special tradition.