Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"I gonna not pitch a fit"

By far the best comment to come out of Handley's mouth today was on our way to the pool.  She stated, "Mommy, I gonna not pitch a fit today."

Monday and Tuesday she really threw fits.  I can count on about 2 fingers the times she's really behaved this way before this week.  The first one this week was because at the pool I said she needed to share a toy or we would be going home.  After giving her multiple chances she continued to ignore my requests, so we went home.  It wasn't pretty, but I didn't really care and wasn't embarrassed because I knew most of the people at the pool, all of them had pre-schoolers, and I knew they would understand.  The second fit was in the middle of CVS.  It really was over nothing, but again, I had asked her to do something, she wouldn't do it and because she was so upset with me she was screaming at the top of her lungs.  I was SO embarrassed.  We were there to get batteries for a new game she received as a birthday gift so it was the perfect teachable moment.  I could have completely given in to her and saved me from the embarrassment, but I feel like that would just teach her that pitching a fit that way gets her want she wants.  Something I definitely don't want to teach her.  After multiple attempts to reason with her and get her to "make the right choice" I ended up carried her out of the store kicking and screaming.  I still don't know how I got her out of the store and into her car seat all while holding Harper.  She finally calmed down and kept begging me to go back to get the batteries for her game.  We did eventually go back, but it was several hours later after she had calmed down, apologized, and proven that she was going to be "a sweet girl."  I once read that during situations like these somebody has got to win, and it better be the mama.  Let's just say that after both of these instances she got a good talkin' to and I guess it really hit home.  Hence her comment to me this afternoon.  "I gonna not pitch a fit." I'm tempted to make that our new motto! Ha!

Thankfully today we had a wonderful day and she was super sweet all day long.  That's the girl I am used to! 


On another note, Harper has reached the get-into-everything-and-make-a-complete-mess phase.  She quickly sneaks away and starts pulling out whatever she can find.  Two that I snapped pics of tonight during the few minutes I was trying to get her into her room for bed was a spool of ribbon and Handley's shoes (which she LOVES to get into and drag out of the closet).  

6 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

Such a cute, cute story. So glad you got this one documented. And that picture of Handley - good gracious; if that isn't just the sweetest thing ever, I don't know what is!

And about Harper getting into everything now??? Can I just say misery loves company!

Erica said...

I feel your pain! As you've witnessed many times, Grace pitches a fit whenever it's time to go home from a fun outing. It's actually gotten better just this week, but man if I wasn't so mad at myself for bribing her and giving in to her last week after Southern Prep and Chick-Fil-A! No more...this mama is going to win from now on :-)

Carrie Davis said...

Ugh, I feel your pain. Charlotte has started with this. There has been a time when I physically could not get her in the car seat. I had to sit in the car with her while she screamed for like 10 minutes - HORRIBLE. It is so hard! Hang in there and stay strong!

Alison LeBlanc said...

Good for you! Yes, we do have to win those moments and I wouldn't feel embarassed- you did get out of the store as quickly as you could. Carrying another baby does make it so much harder!

Jude (and Finnan to an extent :)) is in the same phase as Harper, although, I am sure it is to a much lesser extent since he can not walk yet...oh how I am looking forward to the day he starts walking!

And0 Handley's hair looks so cute curly!!

Justin and Kristin said...

I am not yet to the pitching a fit stage but I am to the drag everything out and clean up after her while she does so. Connor LOVES to go and get her shoes out too. She pulls them all out and plays with them. Too funny!

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

Hang in there!! It sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing:) And there isn't a mommy in the world that isn't embarrassed when her kid acts up in public, so don't worry!