Thursday, December 15, 2011

Jeans and some Elf drama

I love watching how my kids' personalities and preferences develop.  Most of the time, they are pretty opposite.  For example, Handley loves wearing dresses.  She always tells me she wants to look fancy or cute and generally that means a dress or skirt.  Harper used to have no preference in regards to what she wore, but that has changed.  That girls LOVES her jeans.  Every night when we pick out her clothes she asks me if it's going to be cold tomorrow and when I say, yes, she then tells me, "Then I gonna wear jeans tomorrow!"  I don't care if she wears jeans, but I also like for her to wear all the cute dresses she has.  If she finds out her jeans are dirty, she starts pouting and tells me, "I like to wear jeans every, every, every day."  I think part of the reason she likes jeans so much is because she sees me wearing the most days.  When she wears a dress and I'm in jeans she asks why she can't wear them.  I tell that when she is a mommy, she can wear jeans everyday too.  Then she asks me when she's going to be a mommy.  :-)


Even today at the playground, Handley was still dressed up from school, but that didn't slow her down one bit.  She and Avery had a blast riding their bikes together and I'm so impressed with how skilled both of them are becoming on their bikes.


One more quick little story about our Elf on the Shelf, Elfie.  The girls have LOVED him this year and each morning the run around the house together looking for him. He's been some pretty funny places doing some fun things (riding in the Barbie Jeep, playing a board game with some stuffed snowmen, in each of the kids stockings, etc.)  Yesterday he was sitting on their bathroom counter holding some floss and they were certain that he'd been flossing while they were asleep.  As I was giving Hudson a bath the girls were in there playing with some makeup.  Next thing I know I turn around to see Harper touching Elfie.  For anyone who has an Elf, you know that is a big no-no.  I asked her if she touched him and she immediately started sobbing, which means she did, but she was saying over and over that she didn't.  Handley and I reassured her that we wouldn't be mad if she had, but that she needed to tell us.  She stuck to her story and said no, so I let it go.  As soon as Robby got home the girls ran down to greet him and I heard Handley telling him that we thought Harper maybe touched him.  Robby asked Harper if she touched him by accident and she boo-hoo-ed a big YES.  That made Handley start melting down because now Elfie had lost his magic (what happens if you touch an elf) and wouldn't be able to fly to the North Pole to tell Santa she'd been good.  Robby reassured her that if it was an accident he wouldn't loose his magic and I even found something online that tells how to restore his magic if he was touched by accident (apologize and sing him your favorite Christmas song).  We did that and they went to bed hoping that tomorrow he'd be sitting in a new spot.

This morning he was perched on our foyer light (wonder how in the world he got there?!?!) right outside the girls rooms.  Harper was actually the one to notice him first and started jumping up and down with excitement.  Robby came over and told her that he was right, Elfie wouldn't loose his magic if he was touched by accident.  Then Harper turned to us, lifted her arms and exclaimed, "I not gonna touch him today!" We all started laughing and I think from now on Elfie might just choose to sit in places out of reach.

3 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

CB - I wish you could see/hear how hard I am laughing right now over the Elf drama.

And I hear you on the girls being different about clothes. I can already see it in mine. Hendley wants to live in a dress. Anna Bea is happiest in...anything that isn't a dress. Or a bow. At least Harper loves rocking the hairbow!

Julie said...

Aw poor little Harper! She must have felt awful! That is some funny Elf drama!

Stacey said...

Makinley touched Skippy one day this week. But, she did it on purpose...so Skippy disappeared. BUT, then Makinley got a stomach bug and Skippy magically reappeared. Ha! He must have felt bad for her.