Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Bar Soap

The girls have been absolutely fascinated by the bar soap at each sink here at the rental house.   Yesterday when Handley was trying to wash her hands she asked me where the soap was and I pointed out the bar soap to her and told her this was the soap people used before there was soap in bottles.  This morning as the girls were washing their hands together I overheard her telling Harper in a very matter-of-fact way, "This is the kind of soap people used long, long ago before there were even bottles...but we don't know anyone who lived that long ago."

She made another comment today worth noting.  We were riding in the car and I had changed the radio station.  She wasn't happy because apparently she liked the song we were listening too.  She told me, "Mommy, one day when I can drive and I pick you up in my car, you are going to just listen to the songs that I like."  I didn't appreciate her sassiness quite as much as my mom who was cracking up at her comment.

We had a fantastic day.  My friend and neighbor, Carrie, had told me about the children's museum in Charleston so I wanted to make a point to take the kids there.  We went downtown to check it out this morning and it was AMAZING!!!


The girls had so much fun.  There were 5 separate rooms with a different theme in each room.  We started off in the art room where the girls did some painting and made a basket weave place mat.



Next up was the castle room with a medieval theme and a water-play room.  Neither of them wanted to stop playing, but I had to convince them to keep moving to check out the other exhibits.



Their favorite room by far was the "shopping" room.  They both tore through the market as if they were on Supermarket Sweep (remember that game show?!?) and filled their carts before making their way to the life-like checkout complete with a real scanner, computer, play money and real receipt for each shopper.  They had every detail of a real grocery story and it was just about the cutest thing I ever saw.  Harper was so sad when I told her it was time to leave and she just kept telling me she wanted to do more shopping.



After a quick lunch at Chick-fil-a and a rest at home, we made the one block walk to the beach.  The girls had so much fun and kept asking me why I didn't pack their bathing suits.  Although it was unseasonably warm here today, the ocean water was still FREEZING.  That didn't stop them from wading in and getting pretty soaked by the time we walked back to the house though.


1 comment:

Julie, the mama said...

ok, the bar soap has gotten me so tickled. Especially the part about Handley schooling Harper on how it was a long, long, long time ago. She does have a point though. Outside of my shower, I hardly ever see bar soap anymore.

That Children's Museum does look cool. I had to file that one away in my memory bank in case we are down that way.

Love the girls fall dresses, too. Speaking of fall, where is it? It is mighty warm up here. (For the record, that is just fine by me!)