Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Handley's First Dental Visit

Today Handley had her first visit to the dentist for a cleaning.  She actually had been to the dentist about 2 years ago when she fell and chipped her front two teeth, but that was a pretty traumatic experience that, thankfully, she really doesn't remember.  I had gone back and forth about taking her to a pediatric dentist and taking her to the dentist Robby and I see, but ended up taking her with me to the family dentist.  She was really excited about going and kept asking all sorts of questions.  She brushed her teeth longer last night and this morning than she ever has and after she was done she asked if I thought the dentist would think they were nice and shiny.

When we first arrived she sat in a little chair and watched as my cleaning began for about 10 minutes.  She was pretty interested in what was going on.  Then, the hygienist who was going to clean her teeth came to get her.  She was in the room right next door to mine and there is actually a window opening between the two so I could hear everything that was going on, but since I was still having my teeth cleaned I wasn't able to see her or be right beside her.  I got a little nervous that she might not be OK with that, but she did AWESOME!!!!!  I couldn't believe how well she did and how great the hygienist was with her.  She gave Handley pink sparkle sun glasses to wear so the bright light wouldn't bother her, explained every tool they would be using (including "Mr. Thirsty"- the suction tool), and showed her how the chair moved around.  Handley sat still and followed every direction they asked of her.  I was so proud of her.


Showing off her clean teeth
After her cleaning she got to pick out which princess toothbrush she wanted and also got to pick a toy prize from a big basket full of stuff.  She chose a calculator of all things.  They put all of her stuff in a little bag and she was excited as she ran over to me and exclaimed,  "Look Mommy, I even got a goodie bag!"  Ha!  I loved that she had a great experience and that she talked about going to the dentist the rest of the day.  She and Harper even played "dentist" this evening and Handley took on the roll of the hygienist as she explained all the tools to Harper.

Picking out her prize

A HUGE thank you to Tiara for watching Harper for me this morning while we were at the dentist!

6 comments:

Renee said...

That is something I need to do with Reese but I keep putting it off! I am glad it went so well for you guys. I need to just do it and get it over with.

Julie, the mama said...

I am laughing about her picking the calculator! These girls are hoots! Glad the dentist went so well. For whatever reason, I dreaded making the appointment and then wondered why after it was all said and done! Hopefully the other two will be as good as big sister.

Atkinson Family said...

So glad you girls were able to have such a wonderful first at the dentist! I am not shocked Handley did so well but WOW she is growing up so fast! You know I love your girls and would gladly watch them anyday, so ask whenever you need me! It is fun for us! I just can't wait to hold precious Hudson and see your beautiful family whole! WE LOVE you guys!

Unknown said...

So glad that she had a great time visiting her dentist! It's very funny when kids wear eyeglasses while having dental procedures. It's so cool that they feel invincible while wearing them. And oh, I think you're starting to have a "Little Miss Accountant" with that calculator on her hands.

Ed McGoldrick

Unknown said...

Good girl. Looks like she’ll grow up aware with the importance of dental health! Hopefully it's the same with Harper. Has she had her first dental visit too already? Hats off to you for nurturing these girls so well. – Vicatoria @ Chapel Hill, NC Dentistry

Karen Perry said...

With that curiosity and particularity with peculiar things, it’s not difficult to see that she’ll grow up smart, and will succeed at whatever goals she may want to achieve in the future. She may even become a dentist, seeing how she seemed pretty interested with how stuff works. Cheers!

Karen Perry @ Brookside Dental Care