Monday, January 31, 2011

What a difference a day makes

What a difference a day makes.  Today has gone much smoother and everyone has been much happier.  I was a little worried when the first thing Handley said this morning was that she didn't think she wanted to go skiing today.  Thankfully I was able to convince her that she should go because she was going to go with Daddy by herself down one of the big hills, and she'd get to go with Gigi, Papa, Ryan, Heather, and Rylan.  That and the fact that I'd let her pick a candy treat if she did a good job was enough to make her excited to get out the door. 

Harper and I stayed behind and were going to meet them at the bottom of the mountain when she was done.  We had great timing, because just as we were heading out of the condo we saw them coming down the BIG hill.  I couldn't believe she had made it all the way down from the top of the mountain to the bottom and down the big hill too.  She was grinning from ear-to-ear and Robby said that she did AMAZING!!!  I was so proud of her and she really wanted to go again.  Robby on the other hand said that he was worn out from trying to guide her down the mountain the last hour and would rather wait and take her again in the afternoon.  




We sat out by the fire at our condo to warm up and get a snack and Handley was excited to show me her badge.  Yesterday she had a paper pass, but she said today the lady gave her a real necklace pass and told her she didn't have to share it with anyone.


While everyone else went to go ski some more, the girls and I walked to the village to explore.  We found Ripperoo's dog house and also a playground with a few slides that entertained us for a while.




Once Harper falls down, she can't get back up (reminds me of that kid on the movie, A Christmas Story) so Handley and I have to run to her rescue.  

We weren't quite ready to head back to the condo yet so we started walking around a little more.  There are "information" people set up all over and they are so eager to have someone to talk to.  They are mostly older folks, so we spent a while visiting with each of them.  One of them noticed how Harper didn't want to walk and introduced me to the wonderful wagons they have positioned around the village to tow skis, boots, gear, and kids.  It was a glorious discovery!  The girls were so happy to be pulled around and I was happy to not have to carry one of them. I kept asking if they wanted to go back home, but they really just wanted to keep riding so we circled the village a few times before heading in for lunch.


As one last special treat for Handley doing so well this morning (and to make her helmet a little more appealing) I let her decorate it with stickers.  She's so exited about it and keeps showing everyone how "pretty" her helmet is now.


She's getting ready to head back out with Robby for another run down the mountain before we all call it a day.  She is also going to ride a chair lift for the first time and told Robby just before leaving that she wanted to go "really fast" down the hill.

7 comments:

Ashleigh Finger said...

How Fun!! I can't wait for Cohen to learn to ski. I've been really sad that I couldn't ski this year b/c of baby. It looks beautiful out there!!

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

The badge is too cute!

Erica said...

This makes me want to go skiing so badly. I am so impressed with Handley and her badge is absolutely cracking me up. Very cute!

Poor Harper not being able to get up when she falls is so sad (and maybe a little funny)! Definitely reminds me of the Christmas Story kid, too.

Julie, the mama said...

This trip sounds/looks awesome! And GOOOOO Handley. WOW! Keep up the great work with the updates. I am loving them.

Kathy Mills said...

I LOVE it! Way to go Handley.

Poor little Harper:-)

Looks like a blast!

Jennifer said...

Oh, it looks like so much fun! Hopefully you won't be too exhausted from your vacation! We had to laugh at the picture of Harper (loved that you captured it before getting her up :) ). Can't wait to see you guys when you get back!

Stefanie said...

Go Handley! I'm so impressed! Glad you all are having a great time!