Thursday, January 20, 2011

Catch-up

It's been forever since I've blogged, so I'm going to play catch-up in this post.  I've been really busy cleaning out what used to be my "craft room" to make room for the new nursery.  Since we moved in our house, this room had just become the dumping ground where I could have a huge mess and close the door without thinking about it again.  I was dreading cleaning it out, but it felt so good to do it and have a totally empty room to start decorating for our new baby!

Before - Such a mess!
Before- Can you say disaster?!?!?
After- the only thing left is that pile with old pictures for me to sort through and organize before taking to the basement.  
The closet was a disaster.  It had everything from my wedding shoes, stationary, wrapping supplies, scrapbook stuff, and old Halloween costumes.  After taking what felt like a million trips from upstairs to the basement, it was finally all cleaned out.  And as a bonus, I got a workout that day.


I moved my sewing and craft stuff to another room and I'm happy to say because of some new furniture it looks way more "decorated" and organized than it did before.  I'm still working on it, but will post pics of that area when it is complete.

The girls have been great and keeping themselves entertained dressing up, playing games, and having their usual fun.  
You can see Harper still loves her bag.




If you are wondering why Handley isn't wearing any tights when it's 40 degrees outside it's because she can't stand wearing them.  As soon as we get home she takes them off.  Today she happened to put her shoes back on and push her sleeves up.  When I asked her why she did that and she told me it was because she was a "summer girl and in the summer you don't wear anything on your arms or your legs."

Sad news to share is that my grandmother (my mom's mom) passed away last night.  We knew her fight with cancer was coming to an end, but it is never easy to accept it.  We will spent this weekend with the rest of my family remembering and celebrating her amazing life.

Talking to Handley about Memaw going to Heaven was an interesting and on-going conversation today. She was asking some VERY deep and thoughtful questions. I'd be lying if I said I answered them all easily, but I'm happy she is trying to understand everything that is happening.

  • How did Memaw get to Heaven?  Did she go on a plane?
  • Where will she sleep in Heaven?
  • What is there to eat in Heaven?
  • What is Jesus doing right now in Heaven?
  • Can she call us when she is there? 
  • What if she needs to go potty in heaven?
  • Do people in Heaven get to come back or do they stay there? 
  • Will I go to Heaven? (Then she told me she didn't want to go because she just wanted to stay at home with me forever.)
Talk about tough conversations.  

Memaw was a wonderful woman.  She raised 5 children, 4 boys and my mom.  She has left an incredible legacy that will continue to carry on the character traits she taught us all.  I love how close my extended family is and the never ending support and love we all have for each other.  I know it's because she was always the most loving and thoughtful woman.  She will be greatly missed by all of us.  Handley said it best today though when she told me, "even thought Memaw and Bimmie are in Heaven, we still love them." 


10 comments:

Atkinson Family said...

So glad you have that sweet picture! I am so sorry for your loss! If there is anything I can do to help, let me know!

On a lighter note, I can't wait to see the new sewing location and see what you have planned for Baby Boy's room!

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

I am proud of all your hard work! I can't wait to see what you do with the nursery; your design is always beautiful!!

I am so sorry about your Grandmother. I know what you mean when you know someone will pass soon, but still have it come as a "surprise"/deep sadness when it happens. But what a special treasure that last picture is!

Renee said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Erica said...

So sorry about your grandmother. I still love that picture of you all with her. Very special. Grace asked all of those questions, too, when Corey's grandmother passed away. Definitely not easy questions to answer.

We're keeping you all in our prayers.

Alison LeBlanc said...

I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was quite a woman and you can definitely see her kindness in your mother, yourself and your girls. You are right, she left a wonderful legacy. I know she was proud!

I am also very excited to see your ideas for boy stuff! You have done a great job of making room already.

Julie, the mama said...

Incredibly sad to read about your loss, but what a beautiful tribute to a beautiful lady.

Lollipop Girls Two said...

First off, Congratulations on the baby news!
I thought for a second you took a picture of my craft/sewing room. Mine looks just like your did. I'd love to know what furniture you've puchased. I despreatly need to give my room a new-do!

The picture of you with your girls, mother and grandmother brought tears to my eyes. You can tell she was a beautiful woman, inside and out.

Stefanie said...

Your post about memaw just brought me to tears. I'm glad I got a chance to know her even if just for a little while. I could always tell what an amazing person she was. Not sure if you saw what I wrote on your mom's fb page but I agree with everything you said about her leaving behind such a wonderful legacy with your great family. She would be proud. :)

Tessa and Paxton said...

Carrie Beth, blog brought tears to my eyes. Paxton and I have been talking about Memaw being sick over the past months. He was very sad and cried himself to sleep in my arms Thursday night. I wasn't expecting that reaction, but I think he really understands and its not just an abstract concept to him which is why it is affecting him so. He was slightly accepting when I told him that she had done everything that God had sent her to do and it was time for her to come home to be with Him and her husband. However, Paxton did want her to live another "51 years". He was also very worried about your Mom; "Mommy, Deborah will be so sad. What can I do for her to make her feel better?" Anyway, my point in sharing is that I thought you would appreciate how much she impacted others even a little five year old boy. She truly left a far reaching legacy. As a mother, I can't imagine a greater lifeime accomplishment. You are in our thought and prayers for a healing heart...

Katie Jones said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Grandmother! That picture of you all together is beautiful.