Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 1 and already worn out

This morning we all woke up ready go to.  Since I'm pregnant I'm not skiing this year, but Handley has been so excited to go.  She and Robby went to rent their ski's and when they got back she was proud to show off her ski boots (even though she said it was hard to walk in them).  After what felt like about an hour of getting everyone bundled up, we headed out to meet up with the rest of the family on top of the mountain.  While walking to the gondola, we ran into the Keystone kid's mascot, Riparoo. 



Our condo is right on the mountain, so it's within walking distance to all the lifts.  However, what's considered walking distance for an adult and walking distance for a whining child wearing ski boots and an "itchy" helmet and a toddler who just wants to be held are two totally different things.  Let's just say I was trying to be the best sport I could possibly be, but I told Robby that Harper and I would NOT be making this trek everyday.

Riding the gondola up to the top


Once we got to the top we made our way over to the learning hill so Handley could practice.  She did great, but after one time down the little slope she said she was done.  Because of that, I'm glad we didn't sign her up for ski school after all.  We did convince her to try it a few more times and with each run she did better.


 Thankfully, Gigi and Papa came over to help me keep Harper happy, so I could snap a few pictures of Handley skiing.




Next, we walked over the snow fort so the kids could play a little while.  It has tunnels, things to climb on and a big slide.


Handley went down the slide a few times.

Harper was excited to give it a try too. 

Climbing through one of the tunnels. 


This last picture just cracks me up because the expression on the girls' faces is priceless.  Ha! You can tell that the few hours we had been out were more than enough for them.  They were worn out and beyond ready to head inside.


When we finally got back to the condo for lunch I felt like I'd just ran a marathon.  Between keeping up with all of the gear, carrying one of the kids, and trying to keep everyone in a positive mood, I was ready for a nap!  After lunch Robby couldn't leave quick enough.  He was eager to get back out on his own so that he could ski without the entourage.  Both Handley and Harper are sleeping/resting right now and I'm enjoying putting my feet up for a few minutes.  This evening we plan to make a trip down to the heated pool, which luckily won't require near as many clothes, yet should still wear everyone out again so that we all sleep well tonight and wake up ready to do it all over again tomorrow.

4 comments:

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

The family pic is great! That snow fort looks like a ton of fun! I am glad you are having fun; don't wear yourself out:)

Erica said...

And I was going to e-mail you about getting together this week!

Hope y'all have a great time. I love the pic of the girls in the gondola, and that snow fort looks like a lot of fun.

Samantha said...

I'm worn out just thinking about your day -- and can't imagine doing all of that pregnant. But what priceless memories -- that last picture is hilarious!

Kathy Mills said...

We've been itching to get out there to ski again. Looking at your pictures,we might just wait another year:-)

Have a great time! Keep those updates coming, they are so fun to read:-)