Saturday, January 29, 2011

First sleepover and lost in the fort

I'm blogging tonight from Keystone, Colorado.  We are out here for our annual Posener family ski trip.  We arrived in Denver last night and stayed at Ryan and Heather's house before heading up to the mountains today.  They had already left for the mountains so it was just us there.  We didn't plan well enough to have a pack-n-play on hand, so we were able to use a twin-size mattress on the floor for Harper.  It was put in Rylan's room (their cousin) and Handley had planned to sleep in Rylan's bed.  It is a very neat bed.  It's like a bunk-bed with a slide to get out of it and a fort underneath.  The sides of the "fort" are covered with fabric that hangs down.  They were both thrilled about their sleeping arrangements, until it actually became time to go to bed.  Then Handley decided she would rather sleep down low and Harper was not thrilled with the idea of sleeping on a "bed" since this was her first time not sleeping in a crib or pack-n-play. They both ended up on the mattress together and I laid with them until they were both asleep.

It was their first sleep-over and Harper's first time out of a crib so I had to sneak back in and take a picture.


Just as we were getting ready to go to bed I heard Harper crying.  When I went in the room I didn't see her, but could hear her. I lifted up one of the sides to the fort and there she was, just sitting there, looking around and totally confused.  Poor thing had rolled off the mattress and had absolutely no clue where she was. I moved her back onto the mattress and she went right to sleep.

About 3 AM Handley came in my room and woke me up. She was upset and said, "I wanted Harper to sleep with me."  I was confused and told her that she was sleeping in there.  Handley told me that she wasn't there and for a second I panicked.  Handley thought she was lost.  I walked with her back to the room and looked in the fort.  Harper had rolled off the mattress again into the fort, but this time she'd stayed asleep in there.  Handley got quite tickled thinking that Harper wanted to sleep in there.  I moved her back once again and this time she stayed put until morning.  Handley woke up at 5:30 ready to go (which was really 7:30 AM our time), but thankfully she was happy to watch cartoons while I slept a little longer.

We made it the mountains this afternoon and were excited to meet up at our condo with Ryan, Heather, and Rylan.  The kids have already had so much fun playing together and can't wait to get out in the snow and ski tomorrow!
The kids and Gigi reading books before bed

4 comments:

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

Have fun on your trip! Love the story of Harper falling into the fort:) So funny!

Julie, the mama said...

So glad you got a picture of the girls sleeping together for the first time. Can't wait to see more pics from your trip!

Alison LeBlanc said...

Them sharing the bed is absolutely adorable.

Atkinson Family said...

I am loving the three trip posts so far! What an incredible experience! I am laughing so hard at Haper rolling off the bed and Handley worried she was lost :) Love the ski pictures too! Hope you are getting a little rest to! Have fun!