Thursday, September 2, 2010

First week of school in review

Today was Handley's 3rd and final day of school for this week.  Overall, I'd say she had a wonderful start to school.  Her teacher is great and I've heard wonderful things about her, but she is very different from the teacher we had last year.  She means business and I'd be lying if I didn't say she even intimidated me a little those first few days.  Handley didn't seem to notice though and on the way home this afternoon she told me  she was going to miss her teachers this weekend.  I guess that says it all, so I can stop worrying.

Today she came home with several pieces of art.  One was an apple they had made, one was a drawing where they were supposed to draw a new friend in their class (I'm glad I'd taught her how to draw people) and the third was a baggie (see picture) full of pieces of paper she had cut.  On the bag was a sticker that said "Good Try!"  After further examining the contents of the bag I saw that she was supposed to have cut out two circles along the black line.  I've never really worked with her on cutting, so I guess I need to get my girl a pair of left-handed scissors and start practicing at home too.  Today when I picked her up I saw a little more connection between her teacher and all of the students so that made me feel good and I am really happy because I know she is going to learn a lot this year.


One funny thing I just have to mention - Yesterday when Handley was telling me about school she said that she and some friends were pretending it was night time and they were having dinner.  Then Handley smiled proudly and said, "And I was serving everyone WINE."  I just about wrecked the car! I just hope that her teachers weren't standing nearby to hear her say that because I'm sure the Baptist Pre-school would not think too highly of my daughter pretending to get everyone tipsy.  That night I told Robby and we were trying to explain to her that she probably shouldn't pretend that at school and that maybe serving milk or juice or water was a better idea.  She then asked, "well what about cold beer?" We had to look away and laugh. :-)  I told her those were just drinks for Mommies and Daddies (which she knows) and she simply replied, "well we were all pretending to be grownin ups" (she calls grown-ups "grownin ups").  Today she told me they were all pretending to be crocodiles so hopefully the pretend adult beverages are forgotten.

Harper enjoyed some one-on-one time this week while Handley was at school.  I took her to story time at the library for the first time.  Although she was nervous at first she quickly warmed up and LOVED it.  After every song or activity finished she would clap and ask for "more."  We'll probably be making that a weekly activity while Handley is at school.  Also, the past few weeks she has become extremely attached to her baby.  She carries her around everywhere and does not put her down!  She comes in the car, in the stroller, and a few days ago she insisted on holding her baby in one arm while she ate with the other hand.


Both of these two are happy to be reunited when the school day is over.  Don't you just love Harper's new face when I tell her to smile. Ha! 

6 comments:

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

I am glad you are getting comfortable with her new teacher. I would be the same way. Don't worry:)

Alison LeBlanc said...

The wine/cold beer story is hilarious!!!

Katie Jones said...

Don't worry about the beer/wine. Katie Anne serves up cold brews every chance she gets in her play kitchen, so I'm sure she busts them out at school, too. Lots of my kindergartners served it last year in the kitchen area - made me laugh every time! A precious little girl said to me just before the end of the year, "I'd give you a margarita because it's so hot, but you're pregnant and pregnant women can't drink those." :)

We've got to work on cutting here as well. That's in the "lesson plan" for my maternity leave!

Stefanie said...

Gosh I feel so behind on your blog ;) I love Harpers new smile. Can't believe how big she looks now. Looking forward to seeing you guys next weekend! Hope you have a good Labor Day!

Julie, the mama said...

ok, I'm laughing too much at the wine thing to say anything else. HAHAHAHA!!!!

Mrs. Nicole Haddad said...

LMBO!!!! This is TOO funny....I can't wait until Lucas says cute things....gonna have to get my journal ready and write down all the funny times :) I love it!