Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Little Fish

As a result of spending practically everyday at the pool and some awesome one-on-one swim lessons with Mrs. Angie, I officially have two little fish.  Handley and Harper are doing so well in the pool and are constantly amazing me with their swimming abilities.

Handley has come such a long way from last year.  She no longer wears her water wings at the pool and is so much more confident.  She got a kick-board for her birthday and that is now her favorite thing to swim with.  Yesterday she and Avery swam across the pool and back using their kick-boards.  While I kept my eye on her the entire time, I wasn't worried because I know she has the skills to be able to swim and make it safely to the side on her own if for some reason the kick-board got away from her.  When they got back they were both so impressed with themselves and were proud to tell us that they swam without their Mommies all the way to the deep end and back.


During her lessons Handley has been working on her strokes, really reaching and using her arms during free-style and she has even been doing the backstroke on her own! Click here for a short video of her last lesson today.  The end is where she is doing the backstroke, although she is far away so it's a little hard to tell.

Now on to Miss Harper.  This little girl has absolutely ZERO fear of the water.  She thinks she is invincible and wants to be just like her big sister.  Last week during Handley's lessons I started taking her floatie off to work with her a little and she loved it.  Now, she is constantly asking to take it off and swim to me.  She can swim a few feet on her own and is SO very proud of herself when she does it.  She'll ask me over and over to "go far away Mommy" so she can swim to me and when I do have a hold of her she is constantly wiggling to get free of my arms and tells me, "let go Mommy."  Yesterday before Handley's lesson, Harper saw Mrs. Angie standing not too far away from the steps and decided she wanted to show off.  Next thing I knew she swam over to her and thankfully Mrs. Angie was watching and scooped her up.  Angie suggested letting Harper do 10-15 minutes of Handley's lesson time and that just made her day.  She did everything asked of her with a giant smile on her face.  Getting a lollipop from Mrs. Angie at the end of her lesson was icing on the cake.  :-)



Click here for a short video of Harper's swim lesson today.

I'm sad swim lessons are over for us, but so proud of what the girls have learned!

9 comments:

Alison LeBlanc said...

That's wonderful! It looks like you might be spending your summers watching swim meets :)

Allison D said...

WOW! That is fantastic! I am so impressed with them.

The Dillards said...

This is so good. I still have issues with underwater stuff. I wish my mom had gotten me started early like you have with Harper and Handley.

Stefanie said...

I love the listening to the video of Harper swimming and you can hear Handley say, "Harper you're doing an excellent job! You're going to get a lolli-pop." haha too cute! Can't wait to see them swimming.

Jennifer said...

They both did so good!! What a great summer surprise! I love that Handley was cheering Harper on...so sweet. I can't wait to see those little fish in person!

Erica said...

I am SO impressed with their swimming abilities, being a former swimmer, myself :-) They are doing awesome!!!!

Julie, the mama said...

I am in absolute awe. Seriously. And I also want a Miss Angie here in VA.

Unknown said...

It's so cool to see them swimming like little princess mermaids!! Harper is hysterical! That's amazing!

Unknown said...

Love the video of Handley cheering Harper on...so super cute!