Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Happy Birthday Sydney!

Today is Sydney's 14th birthday.  We adopted her from another family when she was 7 years old and I remember our only concern in getting her was that she was already past hear "prime" years.  I know our decision was the right one though because we have had many great years with her and she has been a loyal and faithful companion to us since day one.


 Sydney is probably the most loving and gentle dog I've ever been around.  She has been so wonderful with our kids and every other kid who has come in contact with her.  Last weekend Harper was dancing around and accidentally stepped on Sydney's face and she hardly moved a muscle.  She is very tolerant and understanding of small children.  Something I don't necessarily think was taught, but rather just part of her nature.

When I researched the life expectancy of a golden retriever, most resources I found say between 12-15 years.  She just had her annual check-up and she continues to be as healthy as any senior dog can be.  She spends most of her days sleeping and has a hard time getting up after laying in one place for too long.  However, the second one of us is in the kitchen or if she sees the kids drop some sort of snack, she finds a way to get up on all fours and make her way to "clean-up" after them.  :-)

There are days I feel guilty because I'm so busy with the kids that I know I've hardly paid any attention to her.  However, she never holds it against me and is always happy with any pets or treats that might come her way.  I've really been trying to make an effort to teach the girls to appreciate her while she is still around because I know when she is no longer with us that she will be greatly missed.


We decided to do it up right for her 14th birthday.  The girls picked out some special dog treats at Wal-Mart that really look like cookies dipped in frosting.  We sang "Happy Birthday" to her and loved on her all day long.

6 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

What a sweet, precious dog.

And have you noticed how growny Harper is looking lately?! It's almost like she's preparing to not be the baby anymore!

cindy glawson said...

What a sweet post. All three of them look so happy to be together.

Stacey said...

Love it! We are actually planning on getting a golden retriever later on this year. It's time our kids have a pet, so Joey and I have been doing some research. I can't wait to have one for our kids to love on and grow up with!

Alison LeBlanc said...

Sydney is one incredible dog. She is lucky to have such loving kids around her, too :)

Erica said...

Happy birthday to Sydney!

Unknown said...

This is really nice and sweet.
Wish you happy birthday

Datastage