Monday, January 25, 2010

I thought we had skipped the terrible two's...

and that we got lucky to not have to go through the trying time everyone describes.  Well, I was wrong.  We just came into them at the tale end of her 2's.  Handley was always so even tempered, quick to follow directions, and had the sweetest disposition.  Over the past month that has changed though.  Don't get me wrong, she is still sweet as can be, but I'm not kidding when I say that every single day is a test of my patients.  She is going through a whiny phase that makes me feel like I am going to pull every hair on my head out.  After we get through one outburst/meltdown/tantrum and I thing I have my sweet angel back, it happens again.and again. and again.  I'm trying to nip this in the bud before it gets any more out of hand.  I'm just praying we come out of it quickly.  

Now on to sweeter thoughts - and several glimpses into my future with my little girl who is growing up too fast right before my eyes. 

This weekend I did something I swore I'd never do...bought her licensed character clothing.  Robby was working so the girls and I headed to Macy's to exchange a too-small gift Handley had received from her Gigi.  I had told Handley she could "help" pick something out since her gift was too small.  While we were there she fell and chipped her front teeth AGAIN (not as bad as her fall in June) but I was trying everything to keep her spirits up and get us in and out quickly.  I was really disappointed with the sale/clearance racks in the kids department so I steered us over to the PJ section.  I looked up and saw what I knew she would pick, only two seconds before she looked up and I knew there was no time to block the view.  Her mind was made up and that was what she MUST have.  A Dora the Explorer nightgown with matching slippers.  At least it is a night gown (her first I must add) and she will only be wearing it in the house.  I must admit though, she does look cute wearing it and looks about 3 years older than she really is. 

Handley has a thing for "lipsticks."  She got some lip gloss and scented princess chap stick for Christmas and I'm not kidding when I say that was her favorite gift.  She went through about 3 tubes of lip gloss in the first week and got so mad at me when I told her she'd had enough. The other day I was trying to get her to come downstairs with me when she ran into the playroom towards the lip gloss and said, "Wait! I have to get some lip stick first." Oh my...


Tonight she went to sleep in her bed, in her sleeping bag.  She said she was having a sleep over in her bed.  Before I know it she will be having sleepovers and this whole "terrible two's" thing will be a distant memory.  I bed I'll be wishing I could just have these days back again. :-)  

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

She is too much. :) I love that she is a mini mommy and loves her accessories. :)

Alison LeBlanc said...

I'll have to hear your plans on how you are dealing with the terribles...I have a feeling I haven't seen the worst of them, as well. As bad as we think they are, I am positive many parents deal with a lot worse for a lot longer...and our kids are dealing with the coming of siblings.

And the Dora nightgown is adorable...I think it is only a matter of time before Thomas apparel is on Finnan.

Erica said...

Well, the good news is that the tantrums don't last forever...but then the whining starts! Hang in there! :) She looks adorable in her Dora nightgown, though!

Renee said...

You are lucky to have missed out on most of the twos!! Reese has been acting like she is two since she was about 18 months old! Deep breaths help! ;-) Good luck!

Julie, the mama said...

This too shall pass! At least that is what I tell myself when we go through these phases.

Had to laugh about the licensed clothing. I caved over light up Disney shoes. Just seeing the excitement in Hendley's face made them appear as adorable as a pair of sweet mary jane's. For a second, at least!

Kathy Mills said...

OMG! We are rasing the same child. Marlee hit her terrible 21/2s also! Same whine, same opinons (which seem to be whatever the opposite is of mine.) Are these the terrible twos or the terrible teens. I must admit, I'm scared

Atkinson Family said...

I love this post!!! LOVE IT! Handley really is growing up so fast and she is a doll! I love watching her and Avery play. Guess what...Avery has Dora PJ's too! Let me know when you want to have that sleepover!