Friday, November 21, 2008

Miss Manners

I think growing up in the south I was always surrounded by good manners. My parents taught us to say "please" and "thank you." We were also expected to say "yes ma'am" and "no sir," to our elders. Writing thank you notes feels so innate to me now because I can clearly remember after our birthdays or Christmas, my mom sitting us all down at the kitchen table and having us write our thank yous to grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. I'm so happy that my parents thought these things were important and I'm definitely passing along these manners to Handley.

We've started off with "please" and "thank you" and she is actually doing pretty well. It used to take more prompting and me saying "you need to say please first," but now all I have to say is, "what do you say?" when she is asking for something. Without hesitation she she tilts her head to the side, smiles and says, "PEES?" How can you say no to that?!?! She always gets that second cookie. :-)

We're still working on "thank you" but her version sounds like "tu-tu" which is equally as cute! I've been trying to get her to say it on video, but every time I whip out the recorder she comes running asking to watch the video and won't perform for me.

No comments: