Thursday, October 16, 2008

We're back...

**Just a warning - this is a marathon post**
Handley and I are back from visiting with my parents. We were gone for 10 days had such a great time while we were there. We got to visit with my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Almost all of my extended family lives in Wilmington so I always enjoy getting to catch-up with them all. The trip was very relaxing for me. Most mornings my mom got up early with Handley and I was able to sleep in...something I hadn't done a long time.

My dad's parents live on the intercoastal waterway and have been in the same house for many, many years. It's the same house my dad grew up in and the same house I remember visiting for Christmas and summer vacations. When my brothers and I were younger, we would spent what felt like hours collecting hickory nuts that would fall in the yard. We would fill a huge bucket with them and then haul them down to the waterway and begin tossing them in one by one. I had so much fun sharing this activity with Handley. Just as I remembered, there were tons of hickory nuts to be gathered and she had so much fun throwing them into the water.



Handley and I with Memaw

Checking out the big boat that was passing

Handley rocking on the porch with Bimmie...a favorite past time and their house.

My mom nannies for a little boy named Paxton. He is 3 1/2 and so much fun. He's full of questions and excitement and is the sweetest little boy. He's been a fan of Handley since she was just a tiny baby. Just for fun, here are a few pictures of them together over the past year or so...
Paxton checking out Handley's "tiny baby toes"

Trying to "help" here stand up.

Handley loving Paxton at the beach this summer!

We got to spend a got to see Paxton several times during our trip and Handley had so much fun playing with him. Now that we are home, she still looks at his picture and asks about him.
Paxton showing Handley the way to the playground...


My Mom's father passed away of Alzheimer's in 2003. My aunt and uncle organize a huge tournament at their outdoor grill and volleyball complex in honor of my grandfather and to raise money for the Alzheimer's Association. Every year hundreds of people show up to play in the tournament, show their support, and enjoy the day. There is usually family festival with tons of activities for kids. I was so excited about letting Handley experience that part of the event, but unfortunately, it rained all day long so that part was cancelled. However, all of my family was there and even in the rain it was a great event.

In this photo are two of my uncles, Neal and Bill, my cousins daughter, Blythe, my dad with Handley, and my cousin, Bryn.



And lastly, here is a picture of my mom's new puppy, Maggie. Handley loved spending the week playing with her.

Stay tuned for some more pictures. I have to get them from my mom's camera...

2 comments:

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

I am glad that you guys had fun on your trip!! Hope to see you soon!

Katie Jones said...

Looks like you girls had a great time!