Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Hudson's first storytime

Yesterday I was sort of regretting the fact that I signed the girls up for camp at their school this week.  Mostly because we've been out of town so much this summer and I was feeling like we just needed a little downtime.  However, seeing how excited they were this morning to go and see all their friends and hearing about all the fun they had today made me glad they were able to do it.

Hudson and I got to spend a few hours alone today and I met up with my friends Jen, Lizzi and Lisa (and their kids) to go to storytime at the library.  I used to take Handley every week and she loved it when she was smaller. I thought Hudson might be a little intimidated by the new place and new people, but I couldn't have been more wrong.  As soon as we arrived he took in his surroundings and while most of the other kids were sitting in their moms laps, he was speed crawling in every direction he could.  He didn't care who was in his way and he had no problem pushing his way through people and across other moms' laps.  As I was chasing him around I thought to myself that I sure was glad I decided to wear shorts today, instead of a dress because I certainly got my workout with him.  Next he found the tables in the back of the room where we were sitting and used them as a tunnel.  At one point Jen commented tome that the little boy in him was definitely starting to come out and she couldn't be more right.

When I could keep him in my arms during the singing part of storytime he had fun clapping and dancing to the songs.  After it was over he kept crawling around and looking back at me like it was the best day of his life and I couldn't help but grab my phone and snap a few pics of his first storytime experience.**




After storytime we all had lunch at Chick-fil-a.  I usually NEVER let him get down in the playground area since he's not walking yet and I don't want him crawling around on the dirty floor.  However, there was no way he was going to sit in my lap while he watched his friends, Will, Parker and Leah, running around and having fun.  So, I caved and let him down and he took off.  He loves anything with a steering wheel and immediately found the one there.  If someone else bigger than him came over, he stood his ground and wasn't about to loosen his grip.  When it was time to go, he was devastated...and he let everyone know how unhappy he was about it.


He's also started testing limits in a big way.  He loves to pull the girls' hair and if we tell him "no" he starts crying big ol' tears and acts so pitiful.  He also will swing at me (sort of a hit) if he doesn't like something or if he is mad.  I immediately tell him "no" and he breaks down into tears again.  It's such a game though because he will pause briefly from the crying, look right at me and do it again, then start crying even louder.  I can't help but laugh at him.  He's definitely figuring it all out and learning his boundaries.

And, one last thing to share is that he can now "quack-quack" like duck!  It's his first animal sound and he does it for every other animal he sees, too.

**I've become such a slacker with my nice camera. I used to carry it with me a lot, but now I rely on my phone a lot instead.  Mostly because I haven't mastered trying to keep my big camera on my shoulder and chase down a busy crawler at the same time.**

No comments: