Sunday, February 27, 2011

A new day for Harper

My new years resolution was to start attending church more regularly.  Part of what had kept us from going was the fact that I knew Harper would have a difficult time being left in the nursery.  However, I decided that she was old enough to start being left and that I couldn't make any more excuses.  The first few times she cried like crazy, clung onto me for dear life and I had to leave her crying hysterically.  I felt guilty, but kept reminding myself that it was good for her (and of course for me).  I've even tried bribery (candy) without any luck.  Most times when I've picked her up she's been fine, but the drop-off was still hard.  Every time I ask her if she had fun she would say no.  I knew that this would help her to be ready for school this fall and I knew that being in the worship service was important to me so we kept it up.  

Well, today was a new day!  I'm not above bribery and did promise her candy if she did well today.  To my surprise, she actually walked into the room by herself (instead of me having to pull her off of me and hand her over to the teacher).  She turned around to look at me and started getting teary, but just then the teacher called her name and she went running to her to be picked up and comforted.  I left with her looking like she was going to start crying, but I could not believe it had gone so easy this morning.  When I picked her up an hour later she was happy and so excited to tell me she played outside today and didn't cry!  She also promptly asked for her candy. :-)  I was SO proud of her and she was SO proud of herself.  The whole ride home she kept saying "No cry!" and was smiling from ear to ear while enjoying her Pez.  I'm hoping this trend continues and that she can enjoy her time in her class so that we can enjoy our time at church too. 



Promptly after this picture was taken we all changed into shorts, which was a very big deal in our house.  Handley tells me everyday that she doesn't like cold weather and can't wait for summer.  She and Harper were both super excited to have bare legs today and I was so excited about the warm weather that I spent most of the afternoon washing and organizing their spring/summer clothes.  I know it's premature, but at least next time we have a 75+ degree day, I'll be prepared instead of having to run to the basement to look for something for them to wear.

4 comments:

Samantha said...

That is great -- I bet she'll love school next Fall! We need to get the boys in a church nursery, too :-)

Renee said...

Way to go, Harper! Both of my kids were/are screamers going in to their class at church. It is so hard but they do end up having fun! Now Reese gets sad if we don't get to go see her friends at church.

Erica said...

I've got to buckle down with Bonnie. It just breaks my heart when she cries, though.

I LOVE those smocked dresses!!

Allison D said...

Oh, boy! THat is great news...and trust me, I totally understand. Everyone at our church knows Marshall...but not for reasons I wish they did. :) The best thing I've found is to be consistant and not miss many weeks.