Saturday, February 26, 2011

"The Guy"

I'm sure most of you have probably seen what we call "The Guy." He is usually standing on street corners, dressed in a Statue of Liberty costume and advertising for a tax preparation company.  In January, when he first appeared at one of the major intersections by our house, Harper loved to point at him and comment on his dancing.  As we drove off she kept asking about the "guy" and wanted to see him more.  I'd forgotten about the guy until we were sitting at the red light of that same intersection a few days later.  I was lost in my own thoughts until all of the sudden from the back seat I hear, "GUY!!!!" and when I looked back I saw Harper smiling from ear to ear and pointing out the window at the guy.  

Since that day she has been obsessed with the guy.  I mean, really obsessed.  I'm not kidding when I say that one day after we passed the guy she spent the next HOUR asking about him.  "Guy?  See more?  More dancing?  Guy?"  I kept telling her that we'd see him again next time, but that wasn't good enough.  She wanted to see him right then and there.  

Sometimes when we pass by she needs some sort of explanation as to why we can't see him more.  I'll tell her that he's eating his lunch or getting ready to go night-night, depending on what time of day it is.  She gets so tickled thinking about him doing those things.  When we are getting close to that intersection Handley will prepare Harper and tell her to start looking out the window for him.  It's so funny and cute how excited they get!  We were lucky enough to see several of those guys when we were visiting my parents last week.  Harper even spotted a Statue of Liberty drawing in a magazine Handley had and came running to show me a picture of the guy.  Sometimes when we are no where near the intersection Harper will ask about him.  I don't know what we'll do when tax season is over, but for now we enjoy seeing "the guy" every chance we can.  

I snapped this with my phone today and zoomed in a lot so you can actually see him. 

Our drive home from my parents on Thursday was better than I could have imagined.  The girls did SO well in the car and I was very pleasantly surprised that they both stayed entertained and happy the entire 7 hours.  They were very excited to see Robby that evening and stayed up late being silly and playing with him.

Today we stayed on the go all day.  It started with Harper and I joining Robby and Handley for their special Saturday breakfast at Chick-fil-a.  Then it was a quick stop by Home Depot to pick up paint for the nursery.  The girls thought that was lots of fun and came out of there holding more paint color samples than I'm sure one person is allowed.  Thankfully the lady behind the paint counter thought they were cute and didn't seem to mind.  Handley told us she was going to do an art project with hers and Harper just liked the Mickey Mouse shaped Disney color samples.  After that it was on to Gigi and Papa's house to visit for lunch and pick up Sydney.  They were kind enough to let her stay with them for the week while I was out of town and while Robby was busy with work.  This afternoon we got to play outdoors in the beautiful weather and enjoyed dinner with friends at Jen and Justen's house tonight.  It was a great way to start our weekend and we look forward to another amazing day of warm weather tomorrow!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I love this! Their little memories are amazing.

Renee said...

So funny! Reese loves the girl the "crazy dances" outside our Little Ceasars. We often wonder why she dances so crazy and what she is listening to.