Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Harper's personality and Handley's swim lessons

Today we stayed busy running errands and getting some things done for Handley's big 3rd birthday party this weekend.  Handley was such a big help to me today and is generally really sweet when we are out and about.  Today so many people commented on what sweet and pretty girls they are.  Like every mom, I just love hearing that from strangers. :-) 

Harper's personality is really starting to show it's true colors.  Ha!  She gets frustrated easily when she doesn't get what she wants and lets us know when she isn't happy.  I'm actually really good at understanding the words she says and knowing what she wants, but sometimes she doesn't like to hear no.  She can be incredibly sensitive and will start crying with these huge tears or on the opposite end of the spectrum she has thrown some tantrums this week that I didn't know she had in her.  

She is teeter-totting on that border between baby and toddler and it is so much fun to watch.  She tries to copy what Handley does and just this week has loved pushing her baby around in the stroller, carrying a purse filled with small toys, cooking in the play kitchen, and even decorating a page with stickers.  She goes non-stop right now and definitely keeps me on my toes.  

Handley started swim lessons yesterday!  She's been doing great with her floaties, but I was excited to see how she would do without them with her swim teacher.  She's taking private lessons every day for two weeks.  Her first lesson went well, but it was a lot more than she was used to and today before we went she kept saying that she didn't want to go under the water.  It was harder for me to watch today because while she was really excited when we got there she got nervous right away and kept saying that she didn't want to go under, put her face in, go on her back, or jump in.  Mrs. Angie (who is also a Kindergarten teacher) is great and reassuring and convincing Handley it's OK and to do a little more, but Handley kept looking over at me with an I'm-about-to-cry look and saying, "Mommy, I'm all done." I talked to a few other moms who said their kids did the same thing, so that made me feel better.  She ended up finishing the lesson and got her lollipop for doing a good job and was all smiles anytime someone told her "good job" today.    
I feel like there is a fine line because with her water wings on she is SO confident, will swim all around the pool by herself, jump in, etc. and I love it because she has fun swimming with her friends.  However, I also don't want her to have a false sense of security and I think the lessons are really great for the safety aspect of being able to swim alone if she were ever in that situation.  We'll see how the rest of the week goes.  She practiced putting her face in the bathtub tonight with her goggles, so maybe that will help her tomorrow.   

4 comments:

Renee said...

Reese starts lessons next week and I am so nervous about how it is going to go! We will see!!

Katie Jones said...

We're starting swim lessons on June 21 (had to postpone them due to the arm injury), and I'm nervous, too! That picture of Harper is just too cute.

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

I did my master's program with Miss Angie!! I thought that was her in the picture, but I wasn't sure! I will have to call her about giving Ella lessons. Can you send me her info?

Kathy Mills said...

So good to read this. Marlee Starts her lessons on the 14th. I have this sick feeling abou how she will react. I am anticipating it being much like Handley's. I think I might make Corey go with me so he can experience that with me:-)