Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cheerleading!!!!

Handley will be cheering for the Upward Angels this fall and I couldn't be more excited about this extra curricular activity!  When I found out that 4 year olds could participate I was thrilled.  She is on the 4-5 year old squad and they cheer for the flag football team games on Saturdays starting in a few weeks.  I feel like it is the perfect sport for Handley.  She is loud, she loves to jump around, and she has lots of spirit. :-) Also, because I grew up cheering and have many great memories of cheering in high school I know how much fun it can be.

Her first practice was tonight and she was so excited to go.  They did some stretches, learned the different cheer motions, practiced a jump and learned one cheer.  She also got her uniform tonight including a megaphone and pom-poms that she can't wait to use.


Upward Sports is a Christian sports league and has a great emphasis on character, self-esteem, and really aims to be a positive activity for the little athletes.  Tonight her coach explained how the girls can earn special star stickers for their megaphone by demonstrating various qualities (spirit, effort, leadership, etc.) at their practices and games and they also discussed what each of the different traits meant.  At home tonight she told me she was going to get a spirit star for smiling a lot and a leadership star for helping out some of the other girls.


As I was getting ready to tuck her in tonight she kept telling me she wasn't tired so she got up and did her cheer a few more times so Hudson (who was also in the room with us) could watch her.


Not to leave Harper out, she enjoyed running around the field tonight and playing in the dirt.  She also enjoyed watching on the sidelines and trying to learn the cheer motions with the other girls. I can just see her being the little mascot because I'm sure Handley will teach her all of the cheers.

2 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

How cute that she wanted to show her little brother the cheer! Those pictures are just precious, too. She looks so happy.

Erica said...

She looks like a natural!