Friday, August 20, 2010

Fun while it lasted

Handley and Avery have had a sleep-over before, but it was at the lake house where both sets of parents were there.  Today was our first attempt at having a real sleep-over, and it was fun while it lasted.  We picked Avery up on the golf cart this evening and were ready for an evening of fun.

The girls loved playing, singing, make-believing.  They ate dinner at the little table I recently moved from the playroom to the kitchen.

After dinner it was time for one of Hadley's favorite games, Elefun.  It consists of an elephant trunk filled with little butterflies.  When you turn on the game a fan blows the butterflies up through the trunk and into the air.  The object of the game is to catch as many butterflies in your net as you can.  We probably played it at least 10-15 times.

After all 3 girls helped clean-up all of the toys downstairs and in the playroom we got baths, and got ready for a movie.

Harper was unhappy when it was time for her to leave the party and head to bed.  She kept repeating Handley's name (she calls her De-da, or something like that) and pointing towards the door.  Next, it was time for the big girls to get to bed.  All was going well until about 9:30 when Avery decided she wasn't quite ready to stay for the entire night.  I told her it was more than OK for her to call her mom and go home and she decided that was what she wanted to do.

Handley was pretty upset when Avery left, but Avery gave her a huge hug and assured her, "it will be OK Handley.  I just miss my mom too much."  We promised we would try it again soon.

5 comments:

Erica said...

Poor thing! It's hard to be away from home. It looks like y'all had a great time before she left, though. You'll just have to try it again soon! And I love how Harper is one of the big girls :)

Atkinson Family said...

I am still shocked! I would have put 1,000 dollars on Avery spending the night. I am so sorry we disappointed Handley and am praying we didn't ruin the sleepover concept! I can't wait to try again!! Thanks for taking such good care of my girl and know I think you are the best Mommy!!! Thank you!! I love all the pictures. We are going to bring a little card over tomorrow!

Julie, the mama said...

Such a cute story about the sleepover.

Hendley was with me, wearing the same princess night gown, when I looked at this blog. She commented on how happy she was that she was wearing the same outfit, and then I didn't think anything about it...UNTIL I tried to get her dressed for the day.

Apparently she thought your blog was "real time" because she kept saying "but Avery and Handley still have theirs on."

So, it is 10:06 and Hendley STILL isn't dressed for the day.

Jen said...

How cute! That is so special that they are such great friends!
I just love your blog.

Alison LeBlanc said...

What sweet girls! I love Avery's quote and that she was so concerned about Handley. Hopefully it will work soon!