Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Reindeer Cookies


Handley and I did a little baking today.  We put on our matching Mommy and Me aprons (an early Christmas gift - thank you Great-Grandma!) and got to work making these cute reindeer cookies for our play group's Christmas party tomorrow.  
I found the idea for these cookies a few years ago in my Southern Living Magazine and I'm so happy that I tore it out and stuck it in my recipe folder.  It's really easy so I'll share the steps with you in case you want to make them too. 

Use a roll of refrigerated sugar cookie dough and cut into 1/2 inch slices.  Place slices on a cookie sheet and using your fingers squeeze the middle of the cookies to make the reindeer face. 

Break the curved parts off of pretzel twists and push the pretzel pieces into the sugar cookies for the antlers. (We had trouble breaking the pretzels without them all falling apart so some of our antlers are full pretzels and I kind of think those look even cuter.)
You can tell which pretzels Handley did. :-) 

Bake cookies as directed on the package and as soon as you pull them out of the oven use chocolate chips for the eyes and red M&M's for the nose - you have to move quick to push them into the cookies to make sure they stick.  

We had so much fun baking today that we'll definitely be doing some more over the weekend and we'll also be making cookies for Santa next week!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOVE the matching aprons! Those are adorable! What a great cookie idea...I am planning on making those things you gave me the recipe to this weekend. Hopefully I can make them with out eating any! :)

Alison LeBlanc said...

Very cute- we'll have to try those cookies! Maybe those will be our santa cookies...I always have trouble making batter etc. when I am not at my own house!

Unknown said...

LOVE the aprons!! We are going to make these this weekend too! Thank you for the recipe!!

Renee said...

Those are so cute! And I LOVE the aprons!! That would have been a good present to ask Santa for! Oh well! Maybe next year!

Jason, Erin, Ella, and Colin said...

Those cookies are too cute!! I just saw a post from a friend that did the same thing but used nutter butters for the reindeer face (in case you're ever in a pinch for time).

Atkinson Family said...

I was wondering who made those adorable cookies. I should have known! Love the aprons!

Mrs. Nicole Haddad said...

You two look so cute with your matching aprons. The cookies look so cute and sound easy and fun to make. I love the one she made ;)