Thursday, December 20, 2012

School Christmas Party Day

I stayed up late last night to get everything ready for today's school Christmas parties.  I wrapped gifts, got crafts organized, had my camera battery charged, the whole nine yards.  I had worked out the logistics for the day (including Jen to come babysit Hudson and Gigi to meet me at the parties since they were at the exact same time and I would be running back and forth between the two if I was alone), but sometimes the best laid plans just don't happen.  That was the case today when I rolled over and saw the clock read 8:25 AM.  Not sure what happened to my alarm, but we needed to leave in 20 minutes to get to school and everyone was still sound asleep.  And it was pouring rain. And as I got Hudson up I realized he was burning up with a fever.  Somehow I managed to get everyone dressed and out the door in time.  I fed the kids a granola bar for breakfast in the car on the way to school and made calls to Jen (to cancel so Parker wouldn't get sick) and to Gigi (to ask her to come stay with Hudson instead of coming to the parties).  We all tracked through the pouring rain to get inside, but delivering the teachers gifts made me smile and got my day back on track.

Back at home as soon as Gigi arrived Hudson practically jumped from my arms to hers.  He just adores her!  I'm so thankful that she was here to love on my baby while he wasn't feeling well.

The girls had fun at their parties and enjoyed decorating gingerbread man cookies, playing games, and doing a few crafts.

They brought home all sorts of Christmas artwork and handmade ornaments that we immediately hung on our tree.

This afternoon after Handley's gymnastics class we rushed to the pediatrician to make it by the walk-in hours.  Hudson was all hyped up out in the waiting room and you never would have known he wasn't feeling well.  However, as soon as they called his name to come on back he turned on the tears and played the part of pitiful.  That didn't stop until we were out of there with a lollipop in hand.  I opened it for him, he took one lick, stopped crying and said, "Mmm!!!"  His happy mood swing lasted about as long as the lollipop did, but I'm hopeful that he will wake up feeling a little more like himself tomorrow.  Turns out he has an ear infection (just as I suspected) and I'm glad that 1) he isn't contagious 2) that it is treatable, and 3) that after a day or two of antibiotics he should be feeling better.

He was mid-lollipop in this picture and happy as can be. 
I am beyond excited that we do not have to rush out the door first thing in the morning and that the girls are out of school for almost 2 1/2 weeks starting tomorrow!

No comments: