Saturday, June 16, 2012

Handley's Bling!

Handley will turn five on Sunday and she asked to get her ears pierced for her birthday.  She's been talking about it for months and today was the big day.  One of the nurses at our pediatrician's office actually does it and I felt so good about taking her there because I knew it would be sterile and safe.  The nurse talked to me about how to care for her ears and answered all of my questions.

Handley had specifically told me she wanted "jewel" earrings and thankfully that is the kind they had.  I was honest with her about it hurting and she told me she was going to be brave.  She sure was!  When the nurse did the first ear she flinched a little and I could tell it hurt, but she did not shed one tear and in fact her eyes didn't even get watery.  I kept telling her it was OK to cry, but she was a trooper.  The nurse did the second one right away and then Handley was able to hop down off the table and rush to the mirror to see her new bling!


She was so excited to rush out to the waiting room to show Mimi, Harper and Hudson.  After leaving the doctors we made our way to the American Girl store so that Susie, her doll, could get her ears pierced, too.  I know what you might be thinking, but yes, they actually do have a "salon" where dolls can get a special hair-do and/or get their ears pierced.  From there we had lunch at the food court, rode the carousel and then came back to American Girl to have a special dessert.  The folks at the American Girl Cafe don't miss a beat.  When they bring waters for everyone at the table, they also bring pretend drinks and saucers for the dolls, too.  Handley ordered a "celebration milkshake" and it came with a candle.  The wait staff all sang "Happy Birthday" and made the day really special for her.






3 comments:

Renee said...

I love the earrings!! Reese wants her ears "peeled" but she is not brave enough. I keep offering for her fifth birthday too but she refuses. I will have to show her this post. Handley was so brave!

Katie Jones said...

What a great birthday! Handley looks precious with her earrings.

Julie, the mama said...

OH MY GOSH; how in the world did I miss THIS???? Earrings are a BIG DEAL, and I just know she was over the moon. And she looks adorable!

That last picture is a framer for sure!