Thursday, March 2, 2017

Family Ski Trip {Part One}

Our schools start back super early each year. I feels like we don't get much of a summer, but we do get a lot of breaks off during the school year and while I would love a longer summer, the breaks are nice.  Last week was Winter Break for the kids and we took a wonderful trip out to Colorado for a family ski trip.  We decided to go back to Breckenridge again this year since we had so much fun there last year.


The kids were so excited on the flight out and couldn't wait to get there.



We arrived in Colorado pretty late that evening and settled in quickly because the next day we knew we had to be up early to get our ski rentals, lift tickets and meet up with the kids' ski instructor they would be skiing with for the first two days.


The kids did great and after a quick warm up, picked up where they had left off last year.  That allowed Robby and I to ski all over the mountain, and that we did.  Here is the thing. I don't love to ski and Robby is always telling me I'm better than I give myself credit for. I just get really cold and would prefer to be sitting on a beach somewhere tropical.


However, on this day, I had THE best time skiing with him.  We ended up at the top of one lift only to realize that every single run was a black diamond.  I knew I could do it, but I thought I might not enjoy it.  I usually like to take it easy on the blue runs, but I actually LOVED it and wanted to go up that lift again.  


This amazing view didn't hurt either.  



Shortly after that our awesome ski instructor and the kids found us on the top of the mountain and suggested a family photo.


We skied down with the kids a bit and got to see what a great job they were doing!  


They absolutely loved doing the adventure terrain parks designed just for kids with tunnels, jumps and passes through the trees.



We rode the lift back up with them and went in for lunch together.  



Harper wasn't feeling great, but she rallied and decided to ski the rest of the afternoon.  When we picked the kids up that day I took one look at her and could tell she was done.  The altitude had really gotten to her and I knew it was because we arrived so late the night before and were on the mountain all day bright and early right away.  She had no time to adjust, but thankfully by later that evening she was feeling better.  

The next day the kids skied with their instructor again and we could not have been more impressed with him.  He was great with the kids, so sweet, taught them a ton and made it fun!  He took them to adventure spots, got them skiing blue runs, showed them a special place on the mountain called "jump city" and really made it great for us for the rest of the week because the kids were comfortable skiing all over the mountain with us, which was the whole point of our trip...family adventure and making memories.  


That night I received a text from him and I was blown away.  His kind words about my kids almost brought me to tears. I was so appreciative that he went out of his way to let me know how he felt about the kids.  You just never know how they act when you aren't around and this was such a sweet reminder that we must be doing something right!


No comments: